Sunday, December 27, 2009

All I want for Christmas is a B Hut

Finally, connected again. After 5 days without internet access, I'm back online. And so much has happened since then. I arrived in Bagram at 0430 on 24 Dec after flying for 2 hrs in a C130 with all my body armor on and hot air blowing in my face. I was about to pass out from the heat on my upper body, but I had to stay awake to keep moving my cold feet and my numb butt. It was such a fun ride.

Tired and crabby, I was ready to hit a nice warm bed, but found myself assigned to a room with 5 other females and only one top bunk available. I don't mind roughing it, I really don't. I love camping and I don't need all the amenities of a 5 star hotel, however, sleep would have been nice. The bunk was metal and rather rickety meaning every time I moved so did the bed. There was no ladder either, so it was a bit of a challenge to hoist myself up. Needless to say, I didn't catch up on my sleep. There is here, however, another type of accommodation available here called a B-Hut. These things are made out of ply wood and contain 6 tiny rooms, but they are separate rooms with separate beds. There is no indoor plumbing which requires running to the port-a-potty or modified connex shower. I was told it was not likely that I would get one if I requested as things were tight when it came to the female accommodations, but I could at least ask, right. This was my sanity at stake. The dear SSgt in charge of room assignments confirmed that I was a provider (physician) and said that one was opening up. Merry Christmas. I am now the proud resident of number 101 B-Hut which is not 25 yds from the dorm I had been staying in and right behind the hospital. I actually use the shower and toileting facilities of the dorm as it truly is the closest and now that I have internet, I'm quite a happy camper.

On another note, I did want to comment on the patients we've been taking care of in the ICU and inpatient ward (called ICW). As I had been warned, most of the patients are actually Afghani. Any active duty folks are shipped out to Germany usually within 24-48hrs. Several patients are victims of IED's (improvised explosive device) or other explosions, military-related accidents. There are a couple amputees. There is a enemy combatant, abbreviated EOP for enemy of peace, who is not allowed out of room without blinders and headphones. There is a 6 yr old little girl who accidently picked up a grenade and ended up losing a few fingers, her right eye and has some serious frontal head damage requiring neurosurgery and plastics involvement. There was also the kid who came in after an unsuccessful game of flaming soccer; yes, these kids poured kerosene over the soccer ball and lit it on fire. Not real smart, eh? Oh, but there was the group of 3 active duty kids who attempted to get high on dramamine and overdosed on the stuff. Scary to think that they carry guns. I think that's all the interesting stuff. I start working nights tonight, so I'm sure there will be more to tell in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That is quite an adventure! Please take the guns away from the idiots trying to get high on dramamine.
    Sounds like you have lots of work to do!
    Here I am working on a few projects. I'm trying to completely clean and organize the house, re-hang all the pictures in the upstairs hallway, catch up on laundry, get the heat pump serviced, estimates for new sliding glass doors and a replacement light in the dining room. Also I'm working on a scrap book for the past summer. I hope to have a few of those projects done to share with you when you swing by on your way home.
    We are counting that down as I'm sure you are too!
    All our love!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete