Monday, February 22, 2010

Ambien Day

For anyone that has ever had any problems with sleep and seen a physician about it, you've probably heard of Ambien. I usually prescribe Ambien a couple times a week. This is not unusual, however, today, for whatever reason, I think I prescribed Ambien 5 or 6 times. Everyone was coming in with sleep problems. I can't say that I'm having very much luck in the sleep department either. I guess that says a lot about the living conditions here. Often people are rooming with 4 or 5 other people if they are lucky enough to be in a dorm. I had one poor guy who had been here for 10 days in transit, about to go home, but put up in a clamshell tent with probably 75 to 100 other people who are in and out at all times of the day and night. He easily got a prescription for Ambien. Other people have been here for about a month and just haven't gotten their bodies to make the transition. It is not perfect, but I'll say it again, I'm very happy to be in my little B-hut room.

On another note the weather is getting a bit warmer here which always bodes of more activity. I know the surgeons have been rather busy of late, but don't know details. One OR nurse who was coming to see me for some, you guessed it, Ambien said she'd just seen a case of a soldier who pretty had the whole left part of his backside and thigh blown off after their vehicle hit an IED. Most of the bad injuries are from IED's and I think the enemy knows it. And yes, there are a group of soldiers whose job it is to go out, find and disarm IED's - the EOD (explosive ordinance something or other) guys. I really think you have to be a little crazy to do that job, but I did just treat an EOD guy who'd been at the job for 8 years (all limbs intact). His wife was on anti-depressants and he'd seen several buddies die. Thank you very much, but I'll stay in my little office and clean up the vomit, sample the bloody poop or urine, do the prostate exams, lance the abscess and evacuate clots from hemorrhoids - no problem.

On a happier note, had a great time at country night this past Saturday. I'll be the line-dancing, two-stepping queen when I get home.

3 comments:

  1. Dancing in Afghanistan! What fun! Can you teach me a step or two when you get back?
    BTW, little package on its way. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got the package. It was great. I love the captions the girls wrote on the pictures. I've been showing them to everyone. I also couldn't help notice the color of the yarn is "blueberry". Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do things and not realise or remember in the morning. It became dangerous as I was trying to do things and had to be watched in the night.

    ambien

    ReplyDelete