Thursday, July 15, 2010

Home Sweet Home





Finally back home- well that kind of depends on how I'm defining home at this time, but back in the States nonetheless. I've been thoroughly enjoying time home with my family - parents, siblings, nieces and nephews who have all grown up so much since I left and are so incredibly cute (the nieces and nephews that is).

I have so many stories yet to tell from my days in Afghanistan as well as pictures to post. The internet at Bagram was so slow and spotty that I finally just gave up. Now I don't know where to start. First I think I might describe my homecoming a bit. July 2nd, 2010 was literally the longest day of my life. We left Kyrgystan at around 0730 with stops in Turkey and Germany and finally arrived in Baltimore around 2100 (please add about 9hrs time change). We, meaning all the other soldiers and I, were in a large chartered plane with minimal comforts. My seat did not recline, but the one in front of me sure did and it stayed reclined pretty much the entire trip. It didn't help when food was served as my tray table did not unfold completely with the seat reclined. I slept very minimally and was relatively warm and sweaty in my ABU's. Now the exciting part of the trip came with about 3 hours left before hitting BWI when I was tapped on the shoulder by the chief OR nurse who I knew well, a Lt Col, telling me that a pregnant woman was likely having some Braxton Hicks contractions, but I should probably check her out. So yes, there I was with a 34 week G2P1 pregnant female whose first child was born at 36 weeks now having regular, low grade, but persistent contractions that were not remitting with rest and water. No blood or fluid, but slightly concerning. Thank the Lord for our OB nurse who sat with her and timed her contractions which improved slightly by the time we reached BWI and were met by medics. The poor girl had traveled to the States to spend her husband's deployment with her family (very understandable), but flying at 34 weeks on such a long flight from Germany (she had boarded in Germany) maybe not such a great idea and with child number one in tow. Obviously things worked out fine, but I was slightly concerned for a bit that should she have any bleeding or fluid loss that I'd have to check her cervix with nonsterile gloves behind the curtains of the airline stewards' bay. Not fun for me, but certainly not fun for her.

Pictures shown are a few from my last days in Bagram as well as my first meal at my sister's house- Fresh asparagus and corn-on-the-cob from the farmer's market, amazing mushroom pasta and some steak all washed down with some good red wine. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

1 comment: